Monday, May 20, 2013

Chocolate Coffee Cake

This is a recipe I got out of a magazine for chocolate coffee cake.  Chocolate with my coffee in the morning was right up my alley.  The cake is light and moist.  The recipe is a keeper.

Chocolate Coffee Cake

1 (18.25 oz) package devil's food cake mix
1 (2 oz) package chocolate instant pudding mix
2 cups sour cream
1 cup butter, softened
5 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat first 6 ingredients at low speed with a mixer for 30 seconds.  Continue to beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.  Pour batter evenly into two greased and floured loaf pans.  Top one loaf with chocolate chips and the other loaf with pecans, if desired.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of each loaf.  Let loaves cool completely.  Remove loaves from pans and slice to serve.

To make a lighter version, use light sour cream.  I did that this last time and could not tell the difference.  Also, having your cake without the toppings could take some fat and calories off as well.

I felt like Billy Cosby when I first presented this to the kids for breakfast one morning.  Carl and I couldn't help but start to sing, "Mom is great.  She gave us the chocolate cake."  Is it really for breakfast or is it for dessert?  The world may never know.  Whatever the verdict might be, I say, "Let them eat cake!"

No comments:

Post a Comment