|Low Fat Blueberry Muffins|
2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, optional
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup apple sauce
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Put egg, milk, and apple sauce in the well and stir just until ingredients are incorporated and moistened. Do not over stir.
- Combine blueberries, 1 tablespoon flour, and 1 tablespoon sugar, tossing gently to coat. Fold blueberries gently into the batter. Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling about two-thirds full.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown. You may need to shorten the time for miniature muffins or lengthen the time if you are using unthawed frozen blueberries.
- The original recipe called for vegetable oil instead of apple sauce. It also had a cinnamon streusel topping which is 1/4 cup sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine. Combine dry ingredients and cut butter in with a pastry cutter and sprinkle mixture over the top of the muffins prior to cooking. The recipe will not be low fat anymore, but it is very yummy that way!
- This recipe is a great make ahead recipe. Just freeze pre-made muffins to pop out on busy mornings or for company.