Monday, October 19, 2015

Repurposing Plastic Pumpkins

I saw this idea on Pinterest.  Like so many other pins, you wonder if you will ever have the time, money, or energy to execute the cute ideas you have pinned.  Add to that the pressure to have the project turn out as cute or as seemingly perfect as the picture makes it appear.

This project I saw first here on Pinterest.  Here is what I did.  I have some suggestions of what I would do differently in hindsight at the end of the blog.  You could make only one of these or several depending on what you would like to decorate, but for this demonstration, I will use two.


What you will need
Two plastic pumpkins
Two mums (whatever color you want)
Two cans of spray paint (I used Krylon Stone spray paint)


  1. Buy two plastic pumpkins for your project or use old pumpkins your kids no longer use.  I got my pumpkins at Wal Mart for a cost of $1 each.
  2. Buy two mums for your project.  I would suggest getting a smaller sized mum instead of a larger one (see hindsight below).
  3. Cut the black plastic handle off of each pumpkin.
  4. Spray each pumpkin with your spray paint.  I used Krylon Stone spray paint.  It is a gray paint with specks which imitate real stone.  Recoat as necessary until evenly coated.
  5. Let paint dry well.
  6. Gently unpot your two mums and repot the mums into your painted pumpkins.  Water the mums.
  7. Use pumpkins to flank your front door as I did as a great fall decoration.  You could also use one pumpkin on each stair leading up to your home to decorate the stairway.  Use them on an outside table as a centerpiece.


Hindsight is 20/20 they say.  

Here is what I would have done differently if I had it to do over again.  I used 2 cans of stone spray paint which are about $6 each.  I would have bought the $1 spray paint in a gray and sprayed the pumpkin in that color for my first coat.  Then, I would have used the stone spray paint on top.  That would have saved me some money.  I also would have bought smaller mums.  The mums I bought were beautiful, but their root system was pretty mature.  I had to cut away some of the root system and some soil to fit them into the pumpkin opening.


Total project cost for me was about $30.  I enjoyed doing it, and I would say it was a Pinterest success.  My front door now looks festive, pretty, and ready for fall.  Plus, I can save the pumpkins and reuse them every year until they wear out.

No comments:

Post a Comment